Pagine

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ideas from the past

I find the aesthetic of a high cinched-in waist and a flared skirt (but not too flared, I don't particularly like the 1950s petticoat look) very visually pleasing and flattering on basically any body type.
For this reason, over the years, I have purchased several high waisted skirts both for summer and winter.
However, as I have been going through my wardrobe lately and letting go of items that are ruined or I find uncomfortable, I have come to realize that I don't enjoy wearing tops tucked into my skirts.
This is actually one of the positive effects of going through your clothes with a critical eye, you become more aware not only of what truly fits your style but also of what you actually enjoy wearing. Whenever I wear a top tucked in a skirt, I find myself constantly fidgeting and adjusting it throughout the day, which I find annoying resulting in me avoiding wearing the skirts altogether.
That is, until I was getting lost in the magical world of the internet going through images of vintage hand-knit items (an activity that I probably do more than is reasonable) and came across numerous images of beautiful cropped tops with cinched waistbands worn over skirts.


I had tried wearing longer sweaters over skirts in the past and cinching the waist in with a belt, and I while I did find the look pretty, it was also terribly uncomfortable, with the belt either tugging too tight at my waist (especially after lunch), or hanging loose in the front.
When I then tried wearing shorter sweaters over my skirts I realized it looked the way I wanted it to, and without all the fuss of a tucked-in top.
However, after seeing all these beautiful images I realized I could replicate the look in summer with short tops made out of cotton or silk-blend yarns. Also, I realized that making something with a tight, stretchy waistband and a drapier style on top will result in an even prettier silhouette.


I now have a milion ideas running around in my brain of hand-knit tops, sweaters and blouses I could make for myself or for the shop following this style. I love how this look is polished and classic and the right level of vintage-inspired that doesn't make it look like a costume.
I have to finish a few projects I currently have on my needles, but soon enough I will be casting on to make something like this, both for summer and for winter.

All images via.

No comments:

Post a Comment